Matt Stephens (dandt_matt)

For a list of my appearances in other domains of the web, please click here.
To get back to the home page, please click here.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Issuu

There are a wide range of web based applications available to students and teachers and sorting through the useful and the phishing is quite time consuming and difficult.

Issuu is an online magazine viewer, whereby users can access free content presented in the form of a magazine. You need to become a member to upload, however viewing is free.

I have found issuu useful when asking students to produce mock magazine articles, posters and powerpoint presentations. Students can either submit their work to me and I upload the best of the group or they can upload themselves, depending on the need.

Issuu is a great way for students to broadcast their work, share ideas and also conduct research.

Some issues that I faced included:

* Uploading word documents results in some strange formatting issues. Upload in .pdf for best results.

* Changing the size of the viewed documents is a bit tricky. Full screen function is available, however if you want to view a full screen, zooming in and out can be a pain.

Some positives aspects that I discovered included:

* All types of presentations can be uploaded; posters, powerpoint, documents, ect. A great, online viewing tool.

* Search feature means active design (or other subject content) magazines can be viewed. Like sending the students to the library without the books.

* Students can search my login name to find all of my publications, meaning I can post plenty of content and students can find it easily.

* You can sign in with your facebook account and receive notifications to and from facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment